By the time you’ve made a decision on a new timekeeping system, you want to have it up and running as soon as possible. We know the feeling, and that’s why we work hard to ensure Smart Time installations go smoothly.
If I learned anything in my 25 years of installing financial systems, it is Systems Live the Way they are Installed. So, it is important to get it right from the beginning.
The Process Ensures Success
Change is a challenge, even if the eventual outcome will benefit users. We call our approach “Change Management,” and we have found it to be the most effective way to install Smart Time at a firm. It considers both the physical integration into a firm’s infrastructure and the user’s vantage point as they transition to Smart Time.
These are the steps we take:
- We begin with a Kick-Off Meeting with the client, where we go over a questionnaire to spec out the installation.
- Then, we deliver a Project Plan, which breaks the project into discrete tasks, all of which are put in the preferred order of execution. The plan designates who is responsible for each task—the firm, Smart Time Apps, or both.
- We then assign a Smart Time project manager to spearhead the effort.
- We have weekly project meetings with the client to review progress, discuss next steps and installation questions.
- We provide consultative support at the beginning of and throughout the implementation, where I work with the firm to figure out how to address particular challenges and how best to deploy Smart Time.
- Once everything is installed and wired up, we work with the firm to complete end-to-end testing. For example, we put in a time entry using the iPad, and watch it go through Smart Time, into the accounting system and then onto a bill.
- We provide train-the-trainer services, admin training, as well as training materials that can be customized by the firm.
- We then monitor the install as it goes live. Most firms, after they go live, like to have certain configuration changes made to Smart Time. We do this to make sure we give the firm a perfect fit. Additionally, we stick close to the admin people to make sure they are comfortable operating the system.
A Little Support Goes a Long Way
We know Smart Time is easy to use and is more easily adopted than other systems because Smart Time supports multiple personality types. That said, we also know that a little support goes a long way in making implementation as painless as possible. Through experience, we’re confident we’ve developed a change management methodology to ensure implementation and user adoption success.